Thursday, September 25, 2008

Ode to Fall

Mr. Tom meandered over last night and whipped up a savory dinner in honor of fall's arrival. He kept me at bay by first shaking up some prickly pear margaritas and once I was successfully distracted, he started in on dinner. Like Santa arriving a few months too soon, he swiftly unloaded his bag of goodness. I couldn't help but get giddy...pumpkins, Heirloom tomatoes, a woody chunk of ginger, sourdough bread, cream, Chevre, arugula, oh my!

Usually not one who can sit by idly and watch someone else cook, I was fully entertained by my chef for evening as he sliced, grated, stirred, sniffed and seasoned. I perched in a chair or atop the counter so as to have the best view of the action (my prickly pear libation not far from reach).

As the soup came together, it was time to start the sandwiches. Heirlooms, goat cheese, arugula all grilled up between two crusty pieces of sourdough. The sight of these sitting open-faced in the pan was beautiful. So beautiful, in fact, that I couldn’t peel my eyes away to grab the camera. (Bad Meesh!). But trust me, the green and beet red tomatoes with their signature swirls, laid out over creamy cheese and soon topped with zesty arugula was truly picture worthy. Alas, I couldn’t stand and admire the food all night. Tom nudged me out of my trance by handing me the “lids” to the sandwiches. A few more minutes of toasting, a ladling of creamy pumpkin goodness in the gourd shells, a little cream, seeds and nutmeg/cinnamon sprinkling and it was time to eat.

Now, I shouldn’t have to tell you how amazing this was ‘cause, if you know me, you know I wouldn’t write about it unless I couldn’t get my mind off of it. But let me take a few to relive the flavors…smooth pumpkin taken a notch up on the richness scale by the heavy cream whipped into a frenzy and dolloped on top.Salty, crunchy pumpkin seeds mingling with little chunks of pumpkin flesh scraped carefully from the sides. Ginger, nutmeg and cinnamon coming in to finish it off and leaving behind a unique yet nostalgic taste.

While leaning back in my chair and praising the pumpkins, I glanced down to see the sandwich glancing up at me.

I was so overtaken by the soup that I had forgotten there was more to this autumnalmeal. I took a breath and then I took a bite…and then nearly shed a tear. Really, what is more perfect that warm Chevre let alone warm goat cheese crowned with moist, juicy tomatoes all mixing together to coat the surface of sour bread? (Aside from the aforementioned soup, that is). Tom couldn’t help but break into smile at my apparent proximity to food nirvana and I couldn't blame him. Being a happy eater all my life, it’s not hard to tell when I am really enjoying something. And this I was loving!

A few more nibbles on my sandwich and a dozen or so more teaspoons of soup and I could eat no more. I tucked the sandwich and pumpkin bowl aside so that C could have a wee sample of the dishes and know that I haven’t flipped my lid over just any ol’ meal nor put aside my kitchen control issues for any old chef.

No comments: